Most toddler beds are designed to use a standard crib mattress, allowing you to continue to use your basic crib bedding. Most crib bedding sets include a dust ruffle and a set of bumper pads that you may not need for your toddler bed. If your crib bedding set included a comforter, your toddler may quickly out grow the comforter depending on its size. The fitted sheet and flat sheet included in your bedding set will fit your toddler bed until your toddler grows out of the bed altogether.
There is an incredible selection of colors, patterns, and themes available for toddler bedding. You want your toddler bedding to be soft and cozy, so look for 100% cotton, in either percale, jersey knit, or flannel, with a minimum 200 thread count. This will ensure your bedding will last you a long time and will only get softer with each wash. Typically, toddler bedding should be preshrunk, colorfast, and machine washable. This will ensure your bedding will always fit your mattress and the dye won't run in the wash and discolor other fabrics.Toddler bedding sets are sold in 3 or 4 piece sets. A typical toddler bedding set includes:
- a fitted sheet with reinforced corners which stretches to ensure a snug fit.
- a blanket or flat sheet of light-weight cotton to place over your child on warm nights.
- a quilt or comforter fitted at the foot end to keep your child warm on cold nights.
- a standard pillow case to cover your child's first pillow.
Other coordinating items that can be purchased separately include a matching window valance, a set of matching curtains, a bed skirt, or a canopy.
Many manufacturers and retailers offer a "create your own design" which allows you to mix and match your fabrics and colors to customize your bedding to match your nursery perfectly. Custom bedding sets typically take 6-8 weeks for delivery. If you want to go the custom route, you should order well in advance!
You don't want to be doing laundry every day. Having at least 4 sets of sheets will keep you out of the laundry room for at least an extra day or two.
Toddlers are prone to overnight accidents, especially when potty training. Many parents keep a large stock of mini waterproof mattress pads or receiving blankets to place on top of the fitted sheet. When your toddler is potty training and wakes you up in the middle of the night, only the mattress pad needs to be replaced instead of the entire toddler bedding set.
- I only had to buy one bedding set for my daughter's toddler bed – the toddler bed was designed to use a standard crib mattress so I could use the same crib bedding. I did purchase one new set, the Lavender Dots & Celery Patchwork Toddler Bedding Set by American Baby Company (ABC). It is a lovely 4-piece set including a comforter, pillow sham, fitted sheet, and flat sheet in beautiful shades of lavender and green. It is nice and soft, washes well, and was an extra special touch for my daughter during her first night in her new big girl bed.